Friday, March 28, 2008

Lesson Learned

Here's a lesson I've learned recently, and hopefully I can share my experience with you and perhaps you'll avoid the same mistake.

When you want to buy something and make an informed decision, do all the research you can on what you want, make a firm decision. Then STOP researching!

I searched for months for something and got basically what I wanted for approximately what I expected to pay for it. But I made the mistake of continuing to look, even after I had completed my transaction.

It has brought me nothing but heartache. I keep seeing different options I could have gotten, even worse at better prices.

I developed habits from the searching. It was entertaining...the "thrill of the hunt." When I bagged my prey I should have stopped hunting. But the habits needed to be satisfied.

---------------------

I'm feeling the same way about poker. I still play occasionally out of habit, but it is not at all satisfying. I have a miniature bankroll so it's virtually impossible to record a win that would be significant and leave me feeling satisfied. But I still manage to beat myself up for my mistakes when I play badly. I make excuses like I'm out of practice and rusty, when in reality I know I'm doing the wrong things because I just don't care enough to do it the right way.

You don't need a large bankroll to get satisfaction from playing poker. You can make up for it with a significant investment in TIME. And I'm just not willing to give that much time to poker. The time requirements to satisfactory levels of poker play are VERY SIGNIFICANT. Add up the hours that a person would have to invest to play every event of the BBT3. That's a big chunk of someone's life they're giving up for this silly game.

I get a lot more satisfaction from doing a myriad of other activities. I usually fire up a poker table when I know I won't have a lot of time and I'm too lazy or bored to get off my ass and do something else.

I am going to try to make an effort to stop doing that in the future. I need to be less wishy-washy about my time, wandering aimlessly with no goals. I need structure. Organization.

Who am I kidding? I need a life.

4 comments:

Daddy said...

So, how much did you end up paying for the dildo?

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

LoLoLoLoL

DuggleBogey said...

That doesn't even make sense.

You can never have too many dildos, why would you stop shopping for them?

TechGuyTom said...

I was getting the same way about WoW. Playing because I need to level up, not because I enjoyed it. Haven't played in a month, probably time to cancel the account.

BTW, my link is wrong on your blogroll now. I moved to a new URL http://lifesagrindpoker.com

Thanks,
Tom

PS - Ever consider taking on some editing work?