Monday, August 14, 2006

Buzzed

bumblebeemanI'm still kinda buzzed from the PLO win on Saturday. I generally don't play Omaha, I feel O8 is a much stronger game for me. There were 178 players and it seemed to go much faster than the split version of the game.

Just to over-simplify things, all I did in this tournament was use good pre-flop hand selection and capitalized on my opponents making betting errors after the flop. This is why I think O8 is a stronger game for me, because it seems like players make more mistakes in O8 than in Omaha.

But I did make an unusually large amount of draws in this tournament, which allowed me to carry a big stack the whole time and into the final table. Players just seem to get desperate very early in these games. Pot limit keeps them from chasing your good pre-flop hands out, and it seems like once a player has potted it pre-flop he is completely unable to get away from his hand, no matter what the board looks like.

I have been playing a lot more holdem lately, even though I started the year on a huge Omaha rush. I don't know if switched because I got tired of playing Omaha, which is twice the grind of holdem. Sometimes I'll switch games when the beats get too frequent and I feel like I'm never making the right moves.

Anyway, this has rejuvenated my attitude towards Omaha. You can expect to see me at the cash tables for the forseeable future.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Nice take on your Omaha8 victory! Sweet jebus - I'm still looking for my first big cash. Best I've done was 2nd place in a damn $1 tourney for a $100 win.

Besides holdem, I've started playing Stud lately. Lots of donks play stud and chase hands to the final card there.

mookie99 said...

Congrats, nice score !

Jordan said...

Congrats, Duggle. If you are ever looking for company at the PLO or PLO8 tables (tourneys or cash), hit me up with an IM. I love me some Omaha.

slb159 said...

Glad to see a blogger hit something like that. I've had a feww sessions of Omaha Hi, but not experienced in it enough to play it exclusively, or even on a regular basis. There is certainly $ to be made there though...I saw that first-hand.
Congrats!

Unknown said...

Excellent win Duggle!! PLO is definitely a different beast then PLO8 as I've been playing both for sometime now.

The cash games at $100 and above get very aggressive so strap on your helmet and I'm sure you'll walk away up more times then down.