Thursday, June 08, 2006

Time to Come Clean

sorryI owe Biggestron an apology. I accused him of something sinister that he obviously did not do. I do not think he intentionally tried to change the way people played in the WPBT events he created.

Moreover, I accused him of messing with the WPBT in general. I saw the WPBT as something that some good people created so that bloggers who have a common interest in poker could get together to have fun, play some poker and talk some trash. Then I saw Byron take that idea, assume control of it and make changes to that idea.

What I neglected to realize was that my title was right, the WPBT is in fact NOT Schrodinger's Cat, but not in the way I intended. I meant that the WPBT is actually alive, it's actually something that exists that people care about. But I was wrong, the WPBT actually does not exist and never did. Nobody has any right to it, nobody can say the WPBT is this, or the WPBT should be that.

I mistakenly thought that the WPBT was something that people cared about, and that it carried a spirit of camaraderie and fun that was important. I thought that anyone that took control of it and tried to change it should be seriously questioned as to their intentions. I was completely wrong.

Nobody can stop you if you want to create a series of events and call it the WPBT. It doesn't matter what is involved and who is invited, it can still be the WPBT. If you want to create a WPBT event that only A-listers are invited to, go ahead. If you want to come out with WPBT shotglasses, you are perfectly welcome. (Actually, that's not a bad idea. Kind of appropriate.)

My mistake was in thinking that the WPBT was something special. Something that attracted the attention of the poker blogging community and made them think "Oh! Bloggers will be there and it will be a lot of fun." But it's not. It's really just a collection of four consecutive letters that anyone can use to promote themselves or their poker events.

I honestly thought it was something more than that. My mistake. I apologize.

2 comments:

C.L. Russo said...

Sarcasm...I get sarcasm.

Actually, Schrodinger's cat, as I'm sure you're aware, is BOTH there and not there. It's only until we open the box and observe what is (or isn't) inside that we lock in the cat's quantum phase.

Maybe, if you don't look at the WPBT, it will be both what you thought it was and what you thought it wasn't.

Does this help?

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

FWIW, I do think the WPBT is something special. I love those events, and I play in as many of them as I can. I do think of it as having a spirit of camaraderie. I play in just as many of the DADI events, the Mookie, the WWdN, the WWdN Not, Mondays at the Hoy, etc. as I am able to fit into my schedule. I love the camaraderie of all of these events, and I love chatting and joking with people that I know from playing repeatedly with them.

The other thing is, I totally don't think people play any differently in the WPBT events than in any of these other blogger events. Maybe they do, I don't know, but I certainly play exactly the same way. I try my best to win in these events, like with all my MTTs. Period. That's just how I roll, and I think my competitive nature has helped me immensely with much of the success I've had with online poker of late. But my point is, I think most (not all, but most) of the players in almost every of the blogger-inspired events I listed above are playing to win the game. I certainly am, completely and totally regardless of whether WPBT points are going to be awarded for a certain tournament or not.

I'd be curious to understand who it was who you said was upset about a particular event not getting WPBT points. I don't care about the identity of the person, but I would love to understand the situation a little better to maybe get a grip on why this topic could possibly cause any consternation for anyone.