Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I've had it

I've had it with Oklahoma Radio.

I guess I got lucky when a few weeks ago I found a radio station out of Enid Oklahoma that broadcast national sports radio that I could pick up on my way to and from work. It didn't even bother me that it was Fox Sports Radio, and then changed to Sporting News Radio.

But suddenly an AM country station is bleeding all over my sports radio station. There is an Oklahoma City local sports radio station, but it is the worst excuse for sports radio you have ever heard. I switched over to them out of desperation this morning. The last couple of days haven't been as bad as normal as I get to hear them whine and moan over the state of Oklahoma football. There's nothing like hearing a guy defend his pick that Oklahoma was going to beat Texas by three touchdowns....you were only off by 50 points! "Weyell...eeef theeese stupeeeed refereeeeees would have gotten the call right one this one play, the whole game would have gone deeeeffrent!" Right. 50 points different.

But this morning, in the middle of reading celebrity birthdays, the main player, the STAR of the show, says "Baseball Sucks." Nevermind we just got to see one of the most exciting set of games in division series history, and we got to see an 18 inning marathon that was decided by a hall-of-famer. No, mr "Sports Authority" is right, baseball "sucks." I'd much rather watch his favorite college football team play for 11 games per year, including those exciting Texas Christian Cupcakes.....which your team can't even beat. They even have an ex MLB player that does their afternoon show. And he's a dipshit too.

I'm done with them. It's over. I'm getting XM or Sirius Radio so I can never listen to those local fuckwits again. I'll never have to listen to them talk about their political agendas during a sports show again. I'll never have to listen to them say "those demmycrats in warshington" again.

Anyone have an opinion on XM vs Sirius? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

10 comments:

BG said...

I can't speak for XM versus Sirius, but I can speak about XM in general... First off, there's a nice variety - if you're in to variety. If you're a guy who listens to only one type of music, period, it might be a waste of your money. The talk stations are pretty solid though, including ESPN Radio, although if they had NPR stuff (All Things Considered, Car Talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me) it'd be better. I can tell you if you're a classic rock guy who likes it just a little deeper than "the hits," you're probably going to be disappointed. Two channels of classic rock, one can go three hours playing stuff by Spooky Tooth and other crap bands you've never heard of, and the other is just your average classic rock station from FM radio without commercials.

And when, exactly, did the best period of Beatles music become too old for classic rock, not doo-woppy enough for oldies? So. Freaking. Annoying.

Is XM worth it? For variety and/or access to plenty of talk radio, yes. If you're just going to listen to the music you've always liked listening to, buy an iPod and a car hookup.

DuggleBogey said...

Thanks for the info BG, I have a 5Gig MP3 Player that has all the tunes on it I want.

I'm mostly interested in Talk, especially sports. I see Opie and Anthony have a show on XM, but it starts a half hour after I get to work.

I found a receiver on Amazon for $50, and the monthly is $13, so things are looking pretty good.

WillWonka said...

I have XM Radio.. and Sirius on Dish Network TV. The Talk will will be the same on both (except for Howard Stern is coming to Sirius).. XM has Opie and Anthony.

Music wise, I believe Sirius to be better. XM probably plays more songs; but mostly songs that I don't know. I went with XM due to them having a Christian Rock station and Sirius doesn't.

That's my 2 cents.

TripJax said...

my coworkers rave about XM and how much better the talk channels are...

i don't have either though. good luck.

TripJax said...

There you have it. Now that we know XM has a Christian Rock Station - and knowing how much Duggle loves Christion Rock - I'm sure he will be signing up with XM post haste!

DuggleBogey said...

Wow, someone really does read this crap!

Does Sirius have a Satanic Rock station to balance it out? Oh, I forgot, all "non-christian" rock is satanic rock.

Lol...you guys slay me.

DuggleBogey said...

Nope, it's 1240, "The Score" out of Enid.

I've never played WinStar, but I've driven by it a couple of times. I've heard good things.

Kind of ironic that Texans have to come to Oklahoma to play "Texas" Hold Em.

WillWonka said...

I'm sorry if I hit a button there. I told you why I bought XM. Obviously, not all Christians believe secular rock to be satanic.. quite the opposite; but as with anything.. what you hear from people are usually from the "loud" minorty...

It's cool though... I'll just keep my opinions to myself..

DuggleBogey said...

Just jokes Will, I don't mean to assault anyone's belief system.

My parents did send me to a seminar when I was a teen that said that all non-christian rock is satanic though. We still listened to Fleetwood Mac and Queen anyways....

WillWonka said...

It's all good... no worries.